The first Wednesday of every month is designated as a day of prayer and fasting for Grace Point. I invite all of you to fast and pray with me. It is true that fasting is not required in the New Testament. However, Jesus allows his followers to fast as a means to pray seriously to God. In Matthew 6:16-18, Jesus teaches that we should fast honestly, not for selfish reasons, and God will reward us. In Matthew 9:15, Jesus indicates that his followers will fast after his death and resurrection.
Personally, I have found fasting to be a healthy, spiritual activity. In America, most of our desires can be satisfied in an instant. We can take care of ourselves, and we don’t have to wait for anything. For me, my impatience and desire to be instantly gratified lead me to sin. On the other hand, God asks us to wait and depend on him. Most of good things in life require us to deny ourselves and wait for God.
Food is something that is instantly available to us whenever we want it. So, for Americans, fasting is a way to practice patience, waiting, and delayed gratification. When I fast, I remind myself that it is good to resist instant desires. It helps me to pray, because prayer is chiefly about dependence on God, waiting, and delayed gratification. I often sense a renewed closeness in my relationship with God, when I fast and pray.
So, Wednesday I invite you to fast and pray with me. Here are some questions that may help you.
1. Will you abstain from all food, or just some kinds of food?
2. How long will you fast?
3. What specific time and place will you pray?
4. Will you pray alone or with others?
5. What specific prayer request will you pray for?
Also, you are invited to the Wednesday Night Prayer Hour at Grace Point in the Heritage Room at 7 PM.
No comments:
Post a Comment